I know it can be hard getting rid of any makeup product; most times, we are even forced to throw them away without making the most of it. As much as this sucks, it is important to use a makeup product for a particular period of time only! Failure to do this can lead to severe infections and skin problems.
Makeup products don’t come with an expiry date, but below is an extensive “throw-away” pattern to follow for the items in your makeup bag.
- Mascara – Mascaras have the shortest lifespan in any makeup bag, and must be replaced at least every 3 months. Constant removal of the wand can give room for bacteria to find its way into the tube. Using a mascara for more than 3 months can increase your chances of being plagued with horrible eye infections!
- Liquid Eyeliner – This has a similar life-span with the mascara. Liquid eyeliners should typically be replaced every 3-4 months.
- Lipstick – This product doesn’t grow as much bacteria as mascaras and liquid eyeliners do, and so lipsticks can last up to a year.
- Eyeshadows – Liquid eyeshadows can be kept for at least a year, while powder eyeshadows can last for 2 years.
- Blush & Powders – Toss your powders into the trashcan after a year or two. Also be observant of moulds and fowl smells; these are also reminders that it’s time to let your makeup go!
- Foundations – Moisturising foundations typically last for a year plus. Oil-free foundation have the tendency of drying out quickly and should be thrown away after 12 months.
- Concealers – These have about the same life-span as foundations. After about 18 months, you should render your concealers disposable.
QUICK TIP: Every time you purchase a new makeup set or product, try to keep track of the dates! This will help prevent you from using it longer than you actually should.
Featured image by – thebeautytab.wordpress.com