Prince’s Family Files A Lawsuit Against The Doctor Who Prescribed His Pain Pills

The family of the late US musician Prince is suing his doctor, alleging he failed to properly treat the singer for an opioid addiction.

A lawsuit filed in Minnesota, reported by ABC news, alleges that failures by Dr Michael Schulenberg played a “substantial part” in the star’s death.

Prince died in 2016, aged 57, from an accidental overdose of the painkiller fentanyl, a powerful opioid.

Dr Schulenberg has denied any wrongdoing.

Earlier this year, prosecutors said no criminal charges would be brought over Prince’s death. But the family’s lawsuit, filed in Hennepin County District Court on Friday, alleges that Dr Schulenberg’s actions had played a part.

“He failed to appropriately evaluate, diagnose, treat and counsel Prince for his recognisable opioid addiction, and further failed to take appropriate and reasonable steps to prevent the foreseeably fatal result of that addiction,” the lawsuit read, according to ABC.

“These departures from the standard of acceptable medical practice had a substantial part in bringing about Prince’s death.”

The family of the singer – whose real name was Prince Rogers Nelson – is seeking unspecified damages in excess of $50,000 (£39,000).

Dr Schulenberg’s lawyer said they intended to defend the case, the Associated Press reported.

Paul Peterson said in a statement: “We understand this situation has been difficult on everyone close to Mr Nelson and his fans across the globe. Be that as it may, Dr Schulenberg stands behind the care that Mr Nelson received. We intend to defend this case.”

As well as Dr Schulenberg, the lawsuit also names North Memorial Health Care, where Dr Schulenberg worked, Walgreens stores, which dispenses medication, and UnityPoint Health.

0 Comments Join the Conversation →


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WP Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com